Tasty Mexican tacos are given a vegan makeover with chef Derek Sarno’s plant-based mushroom version. Still full of smoky flavour, these packed mushroom tacos are perfect for a weekend feast, just follow our easy video recipe to make them at home.
See recipe below
Time: 5 mins to prepare and 15 mins to cook, plus marinating
250ml bottle Texas BBQ sauce
150ml vegan IPA
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
2 x 150g packs Portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
8 crunchy taco shells
4 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
handful sliced jalapeños in brine
handful roughly chopped fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. (If you would like to finish off the mushrooms on a barbecue, light it at this point). In a shallow dish, whisk together the BBQ sauce and beer. Set aside. Put the onion in a bowl of cold water; leave to soak.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, stalk-side down, and put a second, smaller heavy-based pan on top (make sure it’s clean) to flatten them. Fry for 2 mins, then flip the mushrooms, press down again with the smaller pan and fry for 2 mins more. Season, sprinkle the spices over both sides of the mushrooms and fry for 2 mins each side with the smaller pan pushed down on top.
3. Add the mushrooms to the BBQ beer mix, turning to coat; leave to marinate for 15-20 mins until cool. Brush a hot griddle pan with oil, then fry the mushrooms until lightly charred. Alternatively, brush the barbecue with a little oil and grill the mushrooms for 2 mins each side.
4. Meanwhile, warm the taco shells in the oven for 2 mins (or on the barbecue). Mash the avocado with the lime juice, chilli and a pinch of salt.
5. Drain the onions. Slice the mushrooms into strips and divide between the tacos. Top with onions, lettuce, jalapeños and coriander. Serve with the avocado and a drizzle of BBQ marinade.
7 Replies to “Derek Sarno’s Wicked vegan mushroom tacos | Tesco Food”
Huge fan here Derek!
hey derek thanks for the vid. where do you buy those huge mushrooms from . I love mushrooms , if I could get them in bulk all the time I would never eat meat again , I live in ny , can you tell me where I can get the same mushrooms like you , thanks for any info you can provide ..
I wouldn't have thought to use BBQ sauce for Mexican food. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. More Derek, please.
lol again a little bit of oil,, and hes using soooooooooooooooo much inflamations fat and acne urk,, wtf wheres woody harrelson news i saw on plant based news,, this is not healthy,, this is HEALTHIER then animal eaters
These look grim
Usually hate ads but this one came in handy!
Comments are closed.