– Pork belly (you want a piece from the centre of the belly preferably)
– Salt, lots of salt…
– Any seasoning or rub your little heart desires for the flesh
1. The day before, take the pork from the packet and dry it really well with a paper towel.
2. Score diamond patterns into the skin but make sure you don’t cut past the fat, you just want to cut through the skin.
3. Place your pork belly onto a wire rack and season it heavily on the skin side.
4. Place in the fridge overnight.
5. The next day, pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
6. Take the pork belly from the fridge and brush off any excess salt on the top.
7. Season the flesh side with any barbecue rub or cracked pepper.
8. Place into the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn the oven up to 220°C on the grill or broil function but make sure your pork is still in the bottom half section of the oven.
9. Cook it like this for another 30 minutes or until the skin goes super crispy. Just be super careful you don’t burn the crackling at this point as all ovens are different.
10. After a total of roughly 1.5 hours in the oven, your pork belly should be super crispy and still juicy in the centre. Remove from the oven and let it rest for at least 25 minutes before you slice it.